Our Mission and Vision
The Mission of the Furniture Bank of Central Ohio is to reduce the impact of poverty by providing furniture to central Ohio families and individuals struggling with severe life challenges.
Our Vision is for all central Ohio families to live in furnished homes, thereby strengthening family units, improving quality of life and building a better community. Community collaborations and resource sharing make this possible on an ongoing basis.
The History of the Furniture Bank
The Furniture Bank of Central Ohio was established in 1998 as Material Assistance Providers (MAP) to help furnish the homes of people emerging from homelessness. Our first year of operation was in the basement of a church, and we provided furniture to 400 local families. In 2006, after a successful $1 million capital campaign, we moved into our current facility in Franklinton.
As a member of the Furniture Bank Association of North America, we are one of the largest furniture banks in the country, and have earned numerous awards for our program, including the Columbus Foundation Award in 2013.
In our 20 years of operation, we have served more than 60,000 families – totaling more than 184,000 individuals – right here in Central Ohio.
We continue our efforts with the help of over 7,000 furniture donors, 2,500 volunteers, and over 75 social service partners. Contact us today to learn how you can help.
Meet the People Leading the Furniture Bank Forward
Our Board of Directors
Our Board of Directors is comprised of industry leaders with a passion for the Furniture Bank’s mission. They are instrumental in setting the organization’s strategic direction and providing programming and event support.
- Steve Ayers, Nationwide Insurance
- Jeremy Ball, Vice Chair, Big Lots Stores, Inc.
- Timothy Barber, Huntington Bank
- Patrick Bennett, Chair, Franklin University
- Pam Blair, Continental Office Environments
- Lisa Dolin, Strategic Source
- Peter Golato, Nationwide Insurance (Retired)
- Paul Groves, Past Chair, Safelite AutoGlass
- Patricia Hicks, Secretary, Outcomes Management Group, Ltd.
- Matt Lemon, L Brands, Inc.
- Sue Lusk-Gleich, Keller Williams Capital Partners Realty
- Thomas Mack, PNC Bank
- Somers Martin, Columbus Chamber
- Doug Miller, Sauder
- Mason Pilcher, Retired, Ross Labs, Woodworkers of Central Ohio
- Brian Poling, Treasurer, Grange Insurance
- Marty Rosenthal, American Electric Power
- Holly Saelens, Molina Healthcare Inc.
- Erin Siegfried, Huntington Bank
- John Snoble, KPMG LLP
- Justin Spring, Adept Marketing
- Clay Thompson, On Demand Wholesaling
- Faith Williams
- Martha Withers, Big Lots Stores, Inc.
Our Operational Leadership Staff
Day-to-Day operations of the Furniture Bank is coordinated by our Operational Leadership team. To contact a member of staff, please contact us and your message will be directed to the appropriate staff member.
- Steve Votaw | President
- John Vidosh | Director of Operations
- Mary Kay Snyder | Director of Development
- Dorice Agee | Director of Finance
Join Our Team
The Furniture Bank of Central Ohio is a great place to work! Competitive wages/salary, health, 401(k) and other benefits available.
We are honored you have trusted us with your financial contributions. And that is why we want to be transparent about how these funds have been used.
Download Our Most Recent IRS Form 990:
How Our Social Enterprise Helps
Because we generate a portion of our own funding through fees-for-service and social enterprise operations (Furniture with a Heart Thrift Store and our Downsize with a Heart moving and downsizing business), we pay for our administrative and fundraising expenses with funding generated by fee-for-service (FFS) and earned income. This allows donor dollars to go directly to programs and services.